Boxers have some of the most incredible physiques! They have the perfect amount of muscle with amazing definition. It would only make sense to incorporate boxing training into your arsenal. Once you get good at hitting the bag than your just plain bad ass! Ever seen a big bodybuilder try and hit the bag and use aweful form with no power? I have, its pathetic. Don’t be like that guy. Learn to punch properly – its one thing that every true man should know how to do.
5 Reasons Why You Should Incorporate Heavy Bag Training into your Workout Routine:
1. Its extremely fun and satisfying – Nothing like hitting the Bag to blow off some steam
2. It burns a ton of calories since your working you whole body
3. You get to work on your fighting skills while working out – How sweet is that?
4. If you do a lot of strength training it teaches you to apply that ‘gym’ strength into your punches
5. Great Core Workout – Hitting the bag is an awesome core workout since much of your punching power is generated from your core
First Things First
Before you even think about hitting the bag its important to learn proper stance and foot-work.
Here is a video that will show you proper stance, footwork, punches and combos:
- Right Handed People will have Left Foot Forward
- Left Handed People or South Paws will have Right Foot Forward
- When moving forward push off the back foot
- When moving back push off the front foot
- When moving left – left foot moves first
- When moving right – right foot moves first
- Make sure to stay on the balls of your feet
- Left and Right Hook
- Left and Right Uppercut
- Jab Cross
- Jab Cross Hook
- Jab Cross Hook Cross
- Cross Hook Cross
- Hook Cross Hook
- Cross Uppercut Cross
Note – You can mix up the levels to throw off your opponent. Ex: Cross to head, Hook to body, Cross to head.
This video shows you how to do the ultimate heavy bag workout.
Warm-up: 5 minutes of shadow boxing
The Workout – 1 minute punching on the heavy bag / 30 seconds rest – Complete 10x for a total of 15 minutes
Round 1 – This round take it easy, focus on throwing the jab – think stick and move
Round 2 – This round pick up the pace a little bit and work on throwing your Jab Cross – keep moving (pretend you have an opponent that can punch back)
Round 3 - This round your going to incorporate all of your combos but focus on speed – don’t worry about power
Round 4 – This round your going to incorporate all of your combos but this time your focus is on power – don’t worry about speed
Round 5 – This round your going to focus on speed and power
Round 6-10 – These rounds you want to play around and focus on sticking and moving for the first 45 seconds – the last 15 seconds go Berserk (don’t worry about technique just try and kill the heavy bag
Cool-down - Finish off with 5 minutes of light shadow boxing to cool down.
How to incorporate this workout into your routine?
Option 1 - Perform this workout after your strength training workouts in place of interval training.
Option 2 – Perform this workout on its on if your tight on time
Option 3 - Perform this workout after an intense sprint or treadmill interval workout – Love this option as sprinting is leg dominant and boxing is upper-body dominant. So this way your getting the perfect interval workout
Incoming Search Terms for Article
heavy bag workout, heavy bag workouts, boxing training, boxing workouts, boxing drills, punching bag workouts, shadow boxing training, HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training, how to do a boxing workout, how to hit the heavy bag, boxing combinations, boxing footwork,
Get My Free Fitness Course for 2012
Enter your email address below